The following recipe and photography was provided by recipe developer and food photographer, Ashley Durand of Plate & Pen.
You can’t have an American summer BBQ without a pie for dessert, and this one is perfect for patriotic gatherings like Memorial Day and the Fourth of July.
Berry pies are simply classic, but if you know me, you know that I am always looking for easy ways to elevate traditional recipes, so I added an unexpected fruity find that took the flavor to a new level and added the white color I was missing in my red, white and blue color scheme.
The mystery fruit I am referencing is dragon fruit. Mildly sweet with a flavor similar to a cross between a kiwi and a pear, dragon fruit is the perfect complement to the sweet/tart flavor of red strawberries and blueberries. You can find it in Heinen’s Produce Department in its whole form, or pre-cut in a packaged fruit medley.
Speaking of Heinen’s pre-cut fruit, if you’re looking to save yourself some chopping, consider picking up Heinen’s pre-sliced strawberries, too!
Most people avoid making pies because of the effort it takes to make the crust. I am all about an easy shortcut, so I used two packages of premade pie crust from Heinen’s for the base and the adorable stars on top.
If dessert is your responsibility this BBQ season, this patriotic pie is sure to impress!
- Cook time:
- Prep time:
- Total time:
For the Pie
- 2 packs premade pie crusts, thawed
- 2 cups strawberries, chopped
- 1 cup blueberries
- 1 cup dragon fruit, chopped
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup raspberry simple syrup (recipe below)
- 1 large Heinen's cage free egg
For the Raspberry Simple Syrup
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup water
- A handful of raspberries
- Preheat the oven to 400°F.
- Thaw the frozen premade pie crusts.
- Once thawed, cut star-shaped cut outs from one of premade crusts using a star-shaped cookie cutter.
- Make the simple syrup by bringing the sugar, water and raspberries to a boil in a small pot. Strain the mixture into a lidded jar.
- In a medium-size pot, cook the strawberries, blueberries and dragon fruit with the sugar and simple syrup for 5-8 minutes until soft.
- Drain the juice and transfer the berries into the remaining premade pie crust.
- Decorate the top with a the star cutouts.
- Brush the crust trim and stars with the beaten egg.
- Bake for 25 minutes, or until golden brown.