The following recipe and photography is courtesy of Graham R. and his dog, Carl. For more of their delicious food ventures, visit them on Instagram @cookingwithcarrrl.
With the Big Game only weeks away, it’s time to start going over the X’s and O’s of your game day feast. Skip simple apps and be the MVP of the party by bringing a truly unique dish to the field. Luckily, I brought my playbook along to share a surefire score! This trick play will fool the offense, defense and special teams!
Flaky puff pastry stuffed with meatballs, pepperoni and sauce all huddled together by garlic butter, cheese and more sauce is a flavor TOUCHDOWN! Quick and easy to assemble, this will be a recipe you’ll quickly place in your appetizer Hall of Fame. All the tasty ingredients you’ll need can be found at your local Heinen’s, talk about a teammate you can always count on!
Now huddle up and get ready to take some notes!
- Cook time:
- Prep time:
- Total time:
- 2 puff pastry sheets, thawed
- 32 mini precooked meatballs (find them in Heinen's Meat Department)
- 32 pepperonis
- 2 cups marinara or pasta sauce
- 1 stick of butter, melted
- 6 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 ½ cup mozzarella cheese
- ½ cup of chopped parsley
- ½ tsp. dried oregano
- Preheat your oven to 350°F.
- Dust your cooking surface with flour.
- Using a rolling pin, combine the two puff pastry sheets at the seam and roll until the dough is about 1/8th to 1/16th-inch thick.
- Using a pizza cutter, cut the rolled sheet into even 3 x 3-inch squares.
- Place a ½ tsp. of sauce in the center of each square. Go for two! Add double the sauce if you want to go crazy!
- Place a meatball on top of the sauce and a pepperoni on top of meatball. This is a great recipe to customize, so add in banana peppers or mushrooms if you like. Any pizza topping will work!
- Fold the pastry dough around the meatball and pepperoni. Gently roll into a ball.
- Combine melted butter, garlic and parsley.
- Place half of the pastry dough balls into a bundt pan. Brush with a healthy amount of the garlic butter, 1/2 cup of mozzarella cheese and ¼ cup of sauce. Add the remaining pastry balls and repeat the process.
- Top with oregano and bake for 40 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and top with more garlic butter.
- Carefully flip the pan upside down onto a cooling rack topped with parchment paper. Top with more garlic butter and the remaining mozzarella cheese.
- Bake for another 20 minutes or until cheese is golden brown.
- Serve with a bowl of sauce in the center of your huddle. Now, BREAK!
Interested in making this recipe? Order the ingredients online for Curbside Grocery Pickup or Delivery.