The following recipe and photography is courtesy of Graham R. and his dog, Carl. For more of their delicious food ventures, visit them on Instagram @cookingwithcarrrl.
Fall is here and pumpkin love is in the air!
Pumpkin spice lattes are great, but the real pumpkin spice item you need in your life is my homemade Pumpkin Spice Butter. Apple butter’s lesser known cousin, pumpkin butter, is a fall gem that can be the star of many great recipes. From pancakes to BBQ sauce, this butter is chef’s kiss!
I’m a simple, simple man, so spreading this deliciousness on extra toasty bread is all I need to be happy. Heinen’s carries Mediterra Bakehouse artisan breads and oh boy, they are a treat! They currently have five varieties in store, so there is an option for everyone. I grabbed their Farm Loaf, but each loaf is a work of baking art. A crunchy crust and soft interior makes for the perfect slice of toast, which is the best vessel for this luscious pumpkin butter. Their Mt. Athos Round Loaf is their flagship bread and worth tossing in your bread basket as well.
This butter also makes a great fall-themed gift for friends and family! Simply scoop some into a Mason jar and add to any gift basket. The older I get, the more and more I appreciate homemade gifts!
Let’s do this, pumpkin!
- Cook time:
- Prep time:
- Total time:
- 8 Small Mason Jars
- 30 oz. Heinen’s pumpkin purée
- 1 cup Heinen’s apple juice
- 4 Tbsp. Heinen’s pure organic maple syrup
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 2 Tbsp. pumpkin spice
- 2 tsp. lemon juice
- 1 tsp. Heinen's cinnamon
- 1 tsp. Heinen's allspice
- Mediterra Bakehouse artisan bread of choice
- Place all of the ingredients into a Dutch oven or large pot. Mix well and simmer over medium-low heat for 1 hour. Stir every 10 minutes. It is finished when the mixture has reduced by half.
- Allow to cool before scooping into Mason jars.
- Store in the refrigerator and enjoy!