The following recipe and photography was provided by recipe developer and food photographer, Ashley Durand of Plate & Pen.
If you’re looking for an easy dessert to bring to a Fourth of July BBQ, you just found it!
Popcorn is addicting to me, as I’m sure it is to many people. Whether drenched in butter and eaten out of a bucket or enjoyed straight form the bag on the couch while catching up on my weekly shows, it’s a crunchy snack that always seems to satisfy my cravings.
The great thing about popcorn is that it basically acts as a blank canvas for all kinds of flavors. It can be tossed with small candies like M&Ms and Reese’s Pieces, covered in caramel and even mixed with savory ingredients like parmesan cheese and garlic. However, nothing is more beloved than a big bowl of chocolate-covered popcorn.
This recipe takes traditional chocolate-covered popcorn to a new level with virtually no extra effort by adding a touch of patriotic color to melted white chocolate.
All you have to do is pop a couple bags of Heinen’s microwaveable popcorn, melt a few ounces of white chocolate, mix in red and blue food coloring and drizzle it over the perfectly popped pieces to create the most delicious sweet and salty red, white and blue dessert. Feel free to add red and blue sprinkles too for extra sweetness and color.
Simply serve this treat in a big bowl and watch it be devoured by the fistful!
- Cook time:
- Prep time:
- Total time:
- 2 3 oz. bags Heinen’s original organic microwave popcorn
- 12 oz. white chocolate, melted
- Red and blue food coloring
- Red and blue sprinkles (optional)
- Pop the popcorn according to the instructions on the package. Transfer to a large bowl.
- In the microwave or over a double boiler, melt the white chocolate.
- Once melted, evenly divide the chocolate into two separate bowls.
- Stir a few drops of red food coloring into one bowl and a few drops of blue food coloring into the other bowl. Use separate whisks to incorporate the food coloring into each bowl of melted chocolate.
- Working one bowl at a time, drizzle the chocolate over the popcorn.
- Add your desired amount of sprinkles.
- Toss and serve.