The following recipe and photography were provided courtesy of Julia of A Cedar Spoon.
Whether you’re tailgating in the fall or watching the Big Game from the comfort of your couch in the winter, the slow cooker is the MVP of every foodie football season.
This slow cooker recipe takes a classic game food, meatballs, and turns them into a flavorful bite-size sandwich perfect for serving a crowd.
Unlike traditional BBQ meatballs, these meatballs are covered in Heinen’s Two Brothers Sweet Chili sauce for a sweet and spicy flavor profile that is sure to score points with your game day crew.
Tossed in the slow cooker and served on fresh ciabatta rolls with lettuce, onions and sesame seeds, simplify the prep and amplify the flavor of your Big Game menu with these meatball sliders!
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
- It’s Easy to Customize. Heinen’s carries an assortment of delicious sauces under the Two Brothers brand. If Sweet Chili isn’t your flavor of choice, try Teriyaki, Island Soy Teriyaki, Thai Peanut, Black Bean or Classic BBQ. You can also swap the ciabatta buns for Heinen’s Hawaiian sweet slider rolls.
- It Calls for a Frozen Shortcut. Skip hand-rolling meatballs from scratch and use the premium frozen meatballs from Heinen’s Frozen Department. They’re a great way to save time and money and no one will taste the difference.
- It Makes Great Leftovers. These meatballs are extremely bingeable, but if you have any leftovers, serve them over rice with roasted veggies and more sweet chili sauce.
- Cook time:
- 4 Hours
- Prep time:
- Total time:
- 1 package of small frozen meatballs (about 20-30 small meatballs)
- 1 12 oz. bottle Two Brothers sweet chili sauce
- 1/2 cup Heinen's beef or chicken broth
- 1 tsp. Heinen's garlic powder
- 1 cup sweet onion, diced
- 1 small head butter lettuce, rinsed and separated
- 3 tsp. Heinen’s sesame seeds
- 4 green onions, white and green parts chopped
- 1 package Heinen's Hawaiian sweet slider rolls or Heinen's ciabatta rolls
- Place the frozen meatballs in the bottom of a slow cooker.
- Add 1 cup of the sweet chili sauce followed by the broth, garlic powder and onion. Mix well.
- Set the slow cooker to low heat and cook for 4 hours or set the slow cooker to high and cook for 2 hours.
- Once cooked, remove the lid and add another cup of the sweet chili sauce. Mix well.
- Place the slider buns or ciabatta rolls on a platter. Top with a slice of butter lettuce, meatballs, extra sweet chili sauce, green onions and sesame seeds.