The following recipe and photography were provided by our partner, Kayla Breeden of Kayla’s Kitch and Fix.
Potatoes are truly prefect! Sliced, diced, mashed or smashed, you simply can’t go wrong.
I think we can all remember enjoying a pile of crispy, golden brown tater tots alongside our favorite childhood meals. Even as an adult, I still find myself craving these bite-size potato nuggets, but in an effort to be healthy, I found myself denying my desire to indulge, until now!
Sweet potatoes are packed full of nutrition, making them a better-for-you substitute for standard spuds. Mashed with spices and ghee and rolled in a “breading” of seasoned tapioca starch, these warm, fluffy Sweet Potato Tots make eating like a child healthy, delicious and Whole30 approved!
- Cook time:
- Prep time:
- Total time:
- 3 sweet potatoes
- ¼ cup nutritional yeast
- 2 tsp. garlic powder
- 2 tsp. onion powder
- 2 tsp. chili powder
- 1 tsp. dried oregano
- 1 Tbsp. ghee
- 1 tsp. salt
- ¼ tsp. pepper
- ½ cup. tapioca starch
- Avocado oil or spray
- Preheat the oven to 425˚F.
- Poke the sweet potatoes with a fork and microwave them for 4-10 minutes in 2 minute increments until soft. The potato should “give” when poked. When selecting potatoes, choose those with a skinny-long shape for faster cooking.
- Allow the potatoes to cool, then remove the skin and place the inside flesh into a bowl.
- Mash the potatoes with the ghee, then stir in the nutritional yeast, dried oregano, onion powder and garlic powder.
- In a separate bowl, mix together the tapioca starch, chili powder, salt and pepper
- Scoop 1 Tbsp. of the sweet potato mixture into the palm of your hand and roll into a tot shape. Repeat until all of the sweet potato mixture has been rolled.
- Roll the sweet potato tots into the tapioca mixture and spread them out on a parchment-lined baking sheet.
- Spray the tots with avocado spray or gently brush with avocado oil.
- Bake the tots for 15 minutes, then flip and bake for an additional 15 minutes.
- If desired, top with fresh herbs and serve with dipping sauces of choice!