The following recipe and photography was provided by recipe developer and food photographer, Ashley Durand of Plate & Pen.
It had been a while since I had a beef burger, but that all changed during my most recent trip to Heinen’s. As I was perusing the meat department, I saw these ridiculously thick premade sirloin steak burgers that I just had to make. They tasted every bit as good as they looked!
There’s not much to this burger recipe, but don’t let that fool you. It’s loaded with flavor thanks to bacon jam, an unusual topping that is growing in popularity, and Heinen’s triple crème brie.
Let’s get down to business!
- Cook time:
- Prep time:
- Total time:
- 4 Burgers
- 4 brioche buns
- 4 Heinen's premade sirloin steak patties
- 8 strips of bacon
- 1/2 red onion, chopped
- Seasonings, to taste (black pepper, salt, cayenne, oregano, thyme, red pepper and garlic powder)
- Romaine lettuce, rinsed and chopped
- Tomatoes, sliced
- Ground mustard, optional
- Heinen’s triple crème brie, melted
- 1 jar of bacon jam, 1-2 Tbsp. per burger
- Preheat the oven to 400˚F.
- In a cast-iron skillet, fry the bacon with the onions until golden and crispy. Transfer to a paper towel-lined plate.
- In the same cast-iron skillet, grill the burger patties, 2 at a time, for 15 minutes. Press down every so often if the patties are thick.
- After 15 minutes, poke a few holes in the patties with a knife to allow for faster cooking and flip to the second side. If you prefer your burgers medium, cook on medium-low for another 15-20 minutes. You don’t want to burn the outside, but you do want to cook the inside a bit more.
- While the burgers are cooking, unwrap Heinen’s triple crème brie from the packaging, wrap in foil and place in the preheated oven for 20 minutes.
- Once the patties are done, remove them from the skillet and place the brioche buns in, face-side-down, to absorb the juices for a few minutes.
- To build, start with the bottom half of the bun, followed by lettuce and tomato. Add the burger patty, brie and bacon jam.
- Add the crispy onions and chopped bacon to the top.
- Finish with the top bun and an extra slice of bacon for garnish.