The following recipe and photography was provided by Christina Musgrave of Tasting with Tina.
Empanadas are always a crowd pleaser, and these beef empanadas are no different!
The easy filling is made with Heinen’s CARE Certified Ground Beef, Heinen’s diced tomatoes, and taco seasoning. It’s then stuffed into empanada dough discs made with premade pie dough. This makes the whole recipe so much easier! Make sure to use some water to help seal the edges together and press the edges with a fork. Don’t overstuff the empanadas, or else the dough can crack and leak!
Great for an easy family dinner or a fun weekend tailgate, make these empanadas with a creamy aioli and they’ll be a hit!
- Cook time:
- Prep time:
- Total time:
For the Beef Empanadas:
- 2 packages premade pie dough, thawed
- 2 Tbsp. Heinen’s olive oil
- 1/2 white onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 lb. Heinen’s CARE Certified ground beef
- 1 package Siete Foods Taco Seasoning
- Pinch of salt and pepper
- 1 15 oz can Heinen’s diced tomatoes
- 1 Heinen’s Cage Free Egg, whisked
For the Aioli:
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1 Tbsp. Lemon Juice
- 1 tsp. Heinen’s Dried Basil
- 1 tsp. Heinen’s Dried Oregano
- 1 tsp. Heinen’s Garlic
- 1 tsp. Heinen’s Dried Onion
- 1/4 tsp. Salt
- 1/4 tsp. Black pepper
- Prepare the aioli. Combine 1/2 cup mayonnaise, 1 Tbsp. lemon juice, 1 tsp. Heinen’s dried basil, 1 tsp. Heinen’s dried oregano, 1 tsp. Heinen’s dried garlic, 1 tsp. Heinen’s dried onion, 1/4 tsp. salt, and 1/4 tsp. black pepper to a small bowl. Mix well, then refrigerate.
- Heat a large skillet over medium heat. Add 2 Tbsps. Heinen’s olive oil and white onion to the skillet. Sauté for 5 minutes, until softened. Add garlic and sauté for 2 minutes, until fragrant.
- Add 1 lb. Heinen’s CARE Certified Ground Beef to the skillet. Brown meat for 5 minutes. Then add 1 package Siete Foods Taco Seasoning and a pinch of salt and pepper. Stir well.
- Add 1 can Heinen’s diced tomatoes to the beef. Bring to a simmer, then simmer for 10 minutes. Remove from heat.
- Roll out pie dough on a gently floured surface. Cut dough circles with a 3-inch diameter (I find using a glass makes this easy!). Repeat with scraps until all dough circles are formed.
- Spoon 1 Tbsp. of beef into the center of each circle. Brush one side of the dough with water, then fold and seal with the prongs of a fork. Repeat until all empanadas are formed. Freeze for 15 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 425°F. Combine whisked Heinen’s Cage Free Eggs with 1 Tbsp. of water. Bush mixture over empanadas, then bake for 20 minutes, until golden brown.
- Plate empanadas with aioli and serve.