The following recipe and photography was provided by Christina Musgrave of Tasting with Tina.
This City Chicken and Noodles is the most simple and delicious weeknight dinner!
What is city chicken you might ask? Contrary to its name, it’s actually breaded pork. It came about in the Depression Era in cities like Cleveland and Pittsburgh when chicken was too expensive. While it may have been a makeshift meal during those times, today, Heinen’s offers it in their Meat Department as an easy and delicious meal solution!
Seared until cooked through and served over a bed of garlicky buttered noodles, this comforting dish is best served with Heinen’s 24-month aged Parmigiano Reggiano and Italian parsley.
We love this easy dinner in the fall and love that it’s a mix of premade and homemade items even more!
- Cook time:
- Total time:
- 2 Tbsp. Heinen's olive oil
- 2 packages Heinen’s premade city chicken
- 1 package Heinen’s artisan organic fusilloni pasta
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 Tbsp. Heinen's butter
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. black pepper
- 1/4 cup Heinen’s 24-month aged Parmigiano Reggiano, grated
- 2 Tbsp. fresh Italian parsley, chopped
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add 1 lb. of Heinen’s artisan organic fusilloni pasta. Cook for 10 minutes, then drain.
- Meanwhile, heat 2 Tbsp. of olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add Heinen’s city chicken skewers and sauté for 6-8 minutes per side until an internal temperature of 155°F is reached.
- Remove the chicken from the skillet. Add 4 Tbsp. of Heinen’s unsalted butter, 2 minced garlic cloves, 1/4 tsp. of salt and 1/4 tsp. of black pepper. Cook for 2 minutes until fragrant.
- Add the cooked pasta to the skillet. Toss, then top with 1/4 cup of Heinen’s grated 24-month aged Parmigiano Reggiano cheese.
- Top with the cooked Heinen’s city chicken and 2 Tbsp. of fresh Italian parsley and serve.