The following recipe and photography was provided courtesy of our friends at Smith’s Dairy.
When you’re in the mood for traditional comfort food, turn to this Classic Lasagna.
Layered with a flavorful meat sauce featuring our CARE Certified hot Italian sausage and lean ground beef, along with Midwest made Smith’s Dairy cottage cheese and loads of fresh herbs and spices, this Italian dish will fill the body and soul!
- Cook time:
- Prep time:
- Total time:
- 1 lb. Heinen's CARE Certified hot Italian sausage
- 1 lb. Heinen's CARE Certified lean ground beef
- 8 Tbsp. parsley flakes, divided
- 1 1/2 tsp. salt, if desired
- 1 12 oz. can Heinen's tomato paste
- 1 16 oz. can Heinen's crushed tomatoes
- 1 16 oz. can Heinen's tomatoes, undrained
- 1 tsp. sugar
- 1 Tbsp. basil
- 1 garlic clove
- 3 cups Smith's large curd cottage cheese
- 1 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. pepper
- 1/2 cup Heinen's grated parmesan cheese
- 12 slices Heinen's mozzarella cheese
- Onion, chopped
- 8-9 lasagna noodles, cooked in salted water with olive oil
- Brown the sausage and ground beef in a skillet on the stove.
- Add 6 Tbsp. the 6 Tbsp. of parsley flakes, salt, tomato paste, crushed and undrained tomatoes, sugar, basil and garlic. Simmer for 45 minutes.
- Meanwhile, stir together 2 Tbsp. of parsley flakes, Smith’s large curd cottage cheese, salt, pepper, grated parmesan cheese and a small amount of chopped onion. Set aside.
- Cook the lasagna noodles in boiling water with salt and olive oil for 10-13 minutes.
- Place a layer of cooked noodles in the bottom of a large casserole dish or pan. Spread the cottage cheese mixture over the noodles (about 1/2 of the mixture), followed by a layer of sliced mozzarella cheese. Finally, spread about 1/2 of the meat sauce over the cheese.
- Repeat step 5 and after the last layer, top with grated parmesan cheese and a sprinkle of paprika.
- Bake at 375°F for 30 minutes.
- Let stand for 10 minutes before cutting.