The following recipe and photography is courtesy of Graham R. and his dog, Carl. For more of their delicious food ventures, visit them on Instagram @cookingwithcarrrl.
While I know pickles aren’t for everyone, I’m obsessed with them! So, buckle up and let’s build one of the most unique and tasty flatbreads you’ll ever devour.
This flatbread pizza is the biggest “dill” in town, and for good reason! It starts with a Brooklyn Bred flatbread pizza crust. Oh boy are these clutch! I always keep a few packs on hand. They’re great time savers, especially with school right around the corner. I smothered one of these crusts with a simple roasted garlic and dill oil that will blow your mind! I’ve kept a jar of this since I first made this recipe and it’s unbelievable on toast.
If that doesn’t peak your interest, then the Grillo’s pickles will. I’ve raved about Grillo’s before and I’ll continue to do so until the end of time. The brine is simple compared to the more popular brands, but don’t let that fool you. Each bite is crisp with fresh flavor. Also, save that brine, it makes a next level chicken brine, trust me! They are available in dill and spicy, so feel free to spice up this recipe if you’re feeling brave!
If you ever find yourself in a pickle, make this pizza!
- Cook time:
- Prep time:
- Total time:
- 1 large Brooklyn Bred flatbread
- 2 heads garlic
- 4 Tbsp. Heinen's olive oil, divided
- 1 1/2 Tbsp. fresh dill, minced
- 1/4 cup Heinen's 24-month aged Parmigiano Reggiano, grated
- 1 cup Heinen's mozzarella cheese
- 1/3 cup Grillo’s pickle chips
- 1/4 red onion, sliced
- Preheat the oven to 425°F
- Slice off the tops of the garlic bulbs, about 1/4 of an inch. Place the garlic in a small piece of foil and cover with a tsp. of olive and a pinch of salt and pepper. Wrap and place into the oven for 40 minutes.
- After 40 minutes, remove the foil packet and carefully extract the roasted garlic; it will be hot! The best way is to squeeze the whole bulb with your hands or tongs. Whisk the garlic together with 3 Tbsps. of olive oil and the minced dill. Set aside. This can also be made ahead of time in bulk!
- Place the sauce all over the flatbread. Cover with the Parmesan cheese, mozzarella, pickles and onions. Place into the preheated oven.
- Bake for 9 minutes, but be sure to check it after 7 minutes or so. Each oven cooks differently! Serve immediately and with extra pickles, of course!
Note: Substitute two cloves of freshly minced garlic for the roasted garlic if you need to make this faster!