The following recipe, video and photography were provided by our partner, Alissa DiSanto of Sauced By Sunday.
The best kind of recipes are the ones that feel nostalgic but look and taste elevated!
Few things compare to the gooey goodness of a traditional grilled cheese! Crispy on the outside, creamy on the inside and warm throughout, it’s a meal that should not end with childhood.
This “fancy” grilled cheese sandwich takes the kid menu classic and turns it into a treat for adults with the help of Heinen’s fondue cheese blend, Two Brothers CARE Certified deli ham, caramelized onions, greens, mustard and crusty artisan bread, of course!
You may be familiar with the CARE Certified selection of beef, pork and chicken in Heinen’s Meat Department, but did you know that their deli ham is CARE Certified, too? It actually comes from the same rancher who raises Heinen’s pork, so you can trust that the care for the animals and quality of the meat is top notch!
Next time you’re craving a grilled cheese or a ham and cheese, treat yourself to this toasty sandwich!
- Cook time:
- Prep time:
- Total time:
- 2 Sandwiches
- 1 large onion, thinly sliced and caramelized
- 4 slices Heinen’s whole grain artisan bread
- 4 Tbsp. Heinen’s butter
- 4 Tbsp. Dijon mustard
- Heinen’s fondue cheese blend (in the Specialty Cheese Department)
- 6 slices Two Brothers CARE Certified deli ham, thinly sliced
- 1 cup Heinen’s arugula
- Thinly slice the onion. Heat a sauté pan over medium low heat. Add 1 Tbsp. of olive oil. Add the onions and cook slowly until soft and caramelized, about 10 minutes. Season with salt and set aside.
- While the onions are caramelizing, butter one side of each slice of bread with 1 Tbsp. of butter. Set aside.
- Prep all of the toppings for the grilled cheese by having them unwrapped/open near the stovetop.
In a skillet large enough to cook two sandwiches, place two slices of bread buttered-side-down over medium-low heat. Smear the Dijon on both pieces of bread in the skillet and top with the cheese, ham, arugula, onions and the second piece of bread, buttered-side-up.
- Cook for 2 minutes, or until the bottom slice of bread is golden brown. Flip and cook for an additional 2 minutes. Cover the pan to help the cheese melt faster.
- Remove the sandwiches from skillet and place on cutting board. Slice in half and enjoy!