The following recipe, video and photography were provided by our partner, Alissa DiSanto of Sauced By Sunday.
Don’t skip your opportunity to dust off the grill and make this Shrimp Scampi Flatbread for dinner!
Have you ever grilled a pizza? If not, this is the perfect recipe to try, as it uses Heinen’s premade flatbread as a time saving shortcut. It chars perfectly over the open flame of the grill, which results in an irresistible crispy crust!
A pizza is nothing without toppings, and while I’ll always love classic pepperoni and cheese, this pizza takes things to the next level with a simple shrimp scampi.
Traditional shrimp scampi features fresh shrimp cooked in a garlic, butter and white wine sauce. To mimic this for a pizza topping, simply toss Heinen’s fresh shrimp in a foil packet with lots of garlic and a few pats of butter and let it cook on the grill until perfectly pink. Once cooked through, transfer them onto the charred flatbread with lots of mozzarella cheese and a drizzle of the leftover garlic butter sauce in the foil packet, and you’ll have a flavorful pizza with minimal effort.
Finished with a hefty helping on Heinen’s fresh grated 24-month aged Parmigiano Reggiano, this dish is an ideal early summer appetizer or dinner!
- Cook time:
- Prep time:
- Total time:
- 4 Tbsp. Heinen’s butter
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- A pinch of Heinen’s red pepper flakes
- Salt and pepper
- 1 lb. Heinen’s fresh shrimp, peeled and deveined
- Juice of ½ lemon
- 1 store-bought flatbread
- 1 cup Heinen’s shredded mozzarella cheese
- ¼ cup Heinen’s 24-month aged Parmigiano Reggiano
- 1 bunch fresh parsley
- Preheat the grill to medium heat.
- Make an open packet with tinfoil and place the shrimp, butter, lemon juice, salt, pepper and red pepper flakes inside. Wrap tightly.
- Once the grill is hot, place the foil packet on the grill. Cook the shrimp until pink, about 3-5 minutes. Around the two-minute mark, open the packet and mix the shrimp around in the juices. Reseal the foil packet after mixing.
- While the shrimp is cooking, gather the flatbread and cheeses. Once the shrimp is done, place the flatbread on the grill and top with half of the mozzarella, all of the shrimp and all of the juices. Add the other half of the mozzarella and continue grilling until the cheese is melted. Close the hood of the grill for a minute or so, if needed, to allow the cheese to melt.
- Remove the flatbread from grill and place onto a cutting board. Top with the fresh grated Parmigiano Reggiano and a good sprinkle of finely chopped parsley. If desired, give the flatbread one more squeeze of a lemon.
- Slice and serve immediately.