The following recipe and photography was provided courtesy of Heinen’s Club Fx Recipe Developer and Food Photographer, Allianna Moximchalk from Allianna’s Kitchen and was inspired by Heinen’s Chief Dietitian, Melanie Jatsek, RD,LD.
This is the quintessential chicken soup recipe because it’s so simple and nourishing!
Perfect for making in bulk and storing in the freezer, keep a batch on-hand for anytime you’re feeling under the weather or just have a taste for some serious comfort food!
- Cook time:
- Prep time:
- Total time:
- 1 lb. Gerber's CARE Certified bone-in chicken breasts or thighs
- 1 Tbsp. Heinen’s extra virgin olive oil
- 5 medium carrots, washed and chopped
- 5 stalks celery, washed and chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 large leek, cleaned, trimmed and chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tsp. salt and pepper
- 8 cups Heinen’s chicken stock
- 2 bay leaves
- 3 sprigs fresh thyme
- Heat a large soup pot over medium-high heat. Season the chicken breasts with salt and pepper.
- Add the olive oil to the pot.
- Add the chicken and sear for 5 minutes on each side. Remove the chicken from the pot. The chicken will not be cooked through at this point.
- To the same pot, add all of the veggies, salt and pepper. Sauté the veggies for 5 minutes.
- Add the chicken back to the pot with the chicken stock, thyme and bay leaves. Reduce the heat to medium-low and simmer for 1 hour.
- After 1 hour, remove the chicken and shred on the plate, removing any unwanted skin or bones. Return the chicken back to the soup.
- Store in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 5 days, or in the freezer for up to a month.