The following recipe, video and photography were provided by our partner, Alissa DiSanto of Sauced By Sunday.
The new year means something different to everyone. For me, it’s a time to try new flavors and styles of cooking in the kitchen!
With the holidays behind us, it’s common to set goals around healthy eating! While this sounds great in theory, it’s easier said than done with work, school and extracurricular activities taking up time in the evenings! My key to eating healthy on busy winter weeknights is sheet pan recipes.
This Harissa Chicken Bake with Lentils and Kale is full of protein, fiber, vitamins and nutrients but is also bursting with indulgent flavor that will leave your taste buds begging for another bite.
If you’re not familiar with unique international flavors, allow me to introduce you to Harissa! It’s a roasted red pepper sauce or paste that’s flavored with cumin, coriander and caraway. It’s a great sauce for chicken but is also delicious spread on sourdough toast or mixed with Greek yogurt.
Prepped in only 25 minutes, this sheet pan bake is the perfect way to elevate the traditional chicken dinner and nourish your body!
- Cook time:
- Prep time:
- Total time:
- 3 carrots, peeled and cut diagonally
- 1 large or 2 small red onions, cut into wedges
- 2-3 sprigs fresh rosemary, chopped
- 1 Tbsp. Heinen’s olive oil
- Salt and pepper
- 2 tsp. Mina harissa paste
- 1 lemon, zested and juiced (zest the lemon first and set aside for garnish)
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 lb. or 8 Gerber’s CARE Certified chicken tenderloins, trimmed
- 1 15 oz. can Heinen’s brown lentils, rinsed and drained
- 2 cups baby kale
- 2/3 cup Heinen’s chicken stock
- 1/3 cup Heinen’s crumbled feta cheese
- Preheat the oven to 400°F. Place the sliced carrots, onions and rosemary in a baking dish, drizzle with olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Bake for 15-20 minutes, or until the veggies are tender.
- While the veggies roast, combine the harissa, lemon juice and garlic in a bowl. Add the chicken and stir to coat. Allow the chicken to sit in the marinade for 10 minutes.
- Place the lentils, kale and stock in the baking dish with the carrot and onion mixture. Stir to combine. Top with the chicken tenders and bake for an additional 10-15 minutes, or until the chicken is cooked through and slightly golden brown.
- Top with the reserved lemon zest and crumbled feta cheese.