The following recipe and photography was provided by recipe developer and food photographer, Ashley Durand of Plate & Pen.
What’s drink says summer more than iced tea?
This is an amazingly refreshing family friendly drink that includes no booze, although I’m sure you could add some if you wanted.
When developing drink recipes, I love to include simple syrups, and in the spirit of summer, I decided to give the traditional simple syrup a tropical twist with fresh mango and dried coconut. The result is a syrup that swimming with seasonal flavor, making it the perfect partner to black chai tea.
Very easy to make and even easier to drink, elevate your summer iced tea with this beachy recipe!
- Cook time:
- Prep time:
- Total time:
For the Mango Coconut Simple Syrup
- 1 mango, skinned, cored and chopped, sub with Heinen's pre-cut mango for a shortcut
- 1 cup unsweetened dried shredded coconut
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup water
For the Iced Tea
- 10 black chai tea bags
- 7 cups water
- 1 cup mango coconut simple syrup (see above)
- Lemon slices
- Extra mangoes, chopped for garnish
- Mint, for garnish
- Combine all of the ingredients for the mango simple syrup in a saucepan. Bring to a boil and let it cook for 10 minutes. Remove from the heat and mash the mango chunks in the saucepan. Run the simple syrup through a strainer into a lidded container. Set aside.
- In a medium stock pot, bring the water to a boil. Once boiling, add the tea bags and steep for about 30 minutes over low heat.
- Remove the bags and pour the tea into a large pitcher to cool. Do not add ice until you’re ready to serve.
- Pour the mango coconut simple syrup into the pitcher with the tea.
- Add fresh mango chunks and lemon slices. Stir.
- Allow to sit in the fridge for a couple hours before serving.
- When serving, add a handful of ice to each glass, pour the iced tea overtop and garnish with mint.