Recipe, video and photography provided by Heinen’s partner, Chef Billy Parisi.
Lamb is a very common centerpiece on Easter plates, but it’s not necessarily something everyone cooks on a regular basis, so preparing it at home can be intimidating. Don’t fear! It’s far easier than you may think thanks to Heinen’s.
Heinen’s has an incredible selection of premium cuts of lamb in their Meat Department. From full legs, which serve 8-10 people, to smaller butterflied legs, which serve 2-4, you’re guaranteed to find an option that works for you. And, if you don’t see the cut you’re looking for, Heinen’s butchers can prepare an order to your exact specifications.
When looking for lamb at the grocery store, it’s important to remember that fat equals flavor. Lamb is a relatively lean cut of meat, so select a cut that has a little fat cap on top. Even on the underside, it’s important to have intermuscular fat for added flavor.
While the fat on the meat certainly contributes to the final flavor, it’s also important to season the lamb appropriately. A little salt and pepper will do, but for maximum taste, a marinade is key!
Simply whisk a few ingredients (listed below) together, pour it over the meat in a casserole dish, let it rest, toss it in the oven for 35 minutes and slice away.
Creating an impressive Easter entrée has never been so easy!
- Cook time:
- Prep time:
- Total time:
- 10 garlic cloves, finely minced
- 3 Tbsp. fresh lemon juice
- 1 Tbsp. fresh rosemary, minced
- ½ tsp. Heinen’s ground cumin
- 2 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. black pepper
- 1/3 cup Heinen’s olive oil
- 1 Heinen’s butterflied leg of lamb
- Preheat the oven to 400°F.
- In a bowl, whisk together the garlic, lemon juice, rosemary, cumin, salt, pepper and olive oil.
- Add the lamb to a casserole dish and pour the marinade over top. Rub it all over the lamb to ensure its coated.
- Cover the dish in plastic wrap and marinate from 1-24 hours.
- Remove the lamb from the casserole dish and place it on a rack on a sheet tray. Bake at 400°F for 35 minutes, or until browned an internal temperature of 140°F -145°F is achieved.
- Remove the lamb from the oven and let it rest for 5 minutes.
- Thinly slice it on a bias/ angle and serve.