The following recipe and photography was provided by recipe developer and food photographer, Ashley Durand of Plate & Pen.
What’s not to love about a loaded baked potato? Just the thought of the steaming hot pillowy interior overflowing with a complex array of textures and flavors from toppings like bacon, cheese, sour cream and fresh herbs is enough to make my mouth water.
Delicious alongside any protein and easy to customize to the taste preferences of the people at your dinner table, loaded baked potatoes are an ideal side dish for a small family dinner or larger gathering. However, traditional full-size loaded potatoes can take up to an hour to bake in the oven and can feel like too much food when competing on a plateful of other sides and mains.
These loaded mini baked potato bites solve the issues of prep time and portion size without sacrificing any of the beloved flavors of this classic full-size side.
In place of large potatoes, I opted for one bag of Melissa’s baby Dutch yellow potatoes and one bag of Melissa’s baby purple potatoes! They’re available in Heinen’s Produce Department, and their small size allows for faster cooking and easier eating. There’s no digging at the inside of the potato skin for every last bite with this recipe!
Tossed in spices and fresh herbs, roasted until tender and served on a platter amongst small bowls of Heinen’s CARE Certified bacon, cheddar cheese and sour cream, make this pint-sized spin on a loaded baked potato for a heavy appetizer or self-serve side dish!
- Cook time:
- Prep time:
- Total time:
For the Potatoes
- 1 24 oz. bag Melissa’s baby Dutch yellow potatoes, halved
- 1 24 oz. bag Melissa’s baby purple potatoes, halved
- Heinen’s olive oil
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tsp. Heinen’s dried oregano
- 1 tsp. black pepper
- ½ tsp. kosher salt
- ¼ tsp. Heinen’s cayenne pepper
- 1 tsp. Heinen’s smoked paprika
- Heinen’s onion powder, to taste
- 1 Tbsp. fresh rosemary, chopped
- 3-4 Tbsp. fresh chives, chopped
- Heinen’s CARE Certified bacon, cooked and chopped
- Heinen’s shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- Sour cream
- Preheat the oven to 450°F.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and place a wire rack on top. If you do not have a wire rack, just line the baking sheet with parchment paper.
- While the oven is preheating, wash the potatoes and cut them in half. Place the halved potatoes in a large mixing bowl.
- Generously drizzle the olive oil over the potatoes, then mix with your hands or tongs to thoroughly coat.
- Add the minced garlic, dried oregano, black pepper, kosher salt, cayenne pepper, smoked paprika, onion powder and fresh rosemary to the potatoes. Toss to coat.
- Transfer the potatoes onto the wire rack on the prepared baking sheet, or directly on the lined baking sheet.
- Bake for 20 minutes.
- While the potatoes bake, add all of the toppings to individual bowls or ramekins.
- Remove the potatoes from oven and pour them onto a large serving platter. Sprinkle the chives over top.
- Place the topping bowls in between the potatoes on the patter and build your own plate of loaded mini baked potatoes with your favorite fixings.