The following post was made in collaboration with Carolyn Hodges of The Dinner Shift and Mina Morrocan Foods. Product was provided by Mina and recipe development and photography were provided courtesy of Carolyn Hodges.
With a handful of ingredients (no kidding, just 5 ingredients) and about 15 minutes, you can prepare a show-stopping seafood dinner worthy of a special occasion any night of the week!
The key to perfect mussels is a flavorful cooking liquid. I’m combining a jar of Mina’s Shakshuka sauce – a spiced Moroccan-style tomato sauce – with vegetable stock to create a bold, delicious broth in minutes. Trust me, you’re going to want plenty of pita bread for dipping.
Don’t be intimidated by fresh mussels! They’re affordable, very easy to cook and perfect for weeknights because of their quick cook time (6 to 8 minutes). For this recipe, you’ll need a two-pound bag of fresh mussels which you can find on ice at the Heinen’s seafood counter for less than $10.
Moroccan Mussels & Chickpeas in Spiced Tomato Broth
Prep time: 5 minutes
Cook time: 10 minutes
Total time: 15 minutes
- 2 pounds fresh mussels
- 1-16 oz. jar Mina Shakshuka Sauce
- 2 cups Heinen’s Organic Vegetable Stock
- 1 can Heinen’s Organic Chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- Fresh herbs (parsley and/or cilantro)
- Toasted pita bread, for serving
- Rinse mussels under cold running water. Discard any with broken shells and those that do not close after being rinsed.
- In a wide heavy skillet (with lid), bring sauce and stock to a boil. Reduce to a simmer and stir in chickpeas. Season broth to taste with salt.
- Stir in mussels and cover. Simmer over medium-low heat for 6-8 minutes, or until mussels open. Discard any mussels that do not open after cooking. Top with chopped fresh herbs and serve with toasted pita bread.