The following recipe and photography is courtesy of Graham R. and his dog, Carl. For more of their delicious food ventures, visit them on Instagram @cookingwithcarrrl.
A true chef knows a thing or two about fusion dishes. I’ve never claimed to be a chef, but this mashup of the legendary Philly Cheesesteak and pizza may finally put me into that category!
As we know from the traditional Philly Cheesesteak sandwich, cheese and steak are an incredible combination, but the hidden star of this recipe is a homemade white sauce. Made from a quick roux, loaded with spices and finished a heaping scoop of Heinen’s 24-month aged Parmigiano Reggiano, this sauce is delicious on this fusion pizza, but can also be used as a quick Alfredo sauce for pasta or for dipping.
Time to get a “pizza” the action!
- Cook time:
- Prep time:
- Total time:
- 8 slices
For the Philly Cheesesteak Pizza
- 16 oz. premade pizza dough, room temp
- White Parmesan Sauce (recipe below)
- 1 1/2 cups Heinen's shredded mozzarella cheese
- 8 oz. CARE Certified strip steak, cooked and thinly sliced
- 1/3 cup red bell pepper
- 1/3 cup green bell pepper
- 1/3 cup red onion
For the White Parmesan Sauce
- 1 Tbsp. Heinen's butter
- 1 Tbsp. all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup Heinen's 2% milk
- 1 tsp. Heinen's garlic granules
- 1 tsp. Black pepper
- 1/2 tsp. Heinen's onion powder
- 1/3 cup Heinen's 24-month aged Parmigiano Reggiano
- Preheat the oven to 450° F.
- While the oven is preheating, make the white sauce. Melt the butter over medium heat, then add the flour. Mix and cook for two minutes until the mixture starts to brown. Add the seasonings, then slowly mix in the milk. Cook for two minutes, then add the cheese. Remove from the heat and set aside.
- Thinly slice the cooked steak and veggies.
- In a cast iron pan or on a floured surface, work the dough into a 12–13-inch circle. Spread a generous amount of the white sauce on the dough, followed by the mozzarella cheese, steak and veggies. Add extra toppings like mushrooms, banana peppers or even olives, if desired.
- Bake the pizza for 15-17 minutes, or until cooked to your liking.
- Slice and serve.