The perfect ending for a hearty winter meal, a light as a feather grapefruit ice is something special when paired with the rich flavor of blackberry. A feast for the palate and the eyes, I don’t know which is more captivating the taste or the color.
- Prep time:
- Total time:
- 1 pint blackberries, plus a few for garnish
- 2 cups water
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- Pinch of salt
- 3/4 cup fresh-squeezed pink grapefruit juice
- 2 Tbsp. lemon juice
- Bring blackberries, water, sugar and salt to a simmer and stir until sugar is dissolved. Remove from heat and smash the blackberries with a potato masher or the tines of a fork. Strain the mixture through a fine sieve into a medium bowl discarding the solids. Stir in the grapefruit juice and lemon.
- Pour into a metal 9 x 13-inch pan and let cool to room temperature. Place in the freezer for 1 hour. Remove the pan from the freezer and scrape the frozen edges into the slushy center of the pan with a fork. Return to the freezer for another hour. Scrape the ice crystals again to the center and return to the freezer for at least another hour or overnight.
- Scoop the ice into small chilled bowls, garnish with blackberries and grapefruit wedges and serve immediately.
Make-ahead: Ice can be made a day ahead. If the mixture becomes too firm to scoop, just scrape again with the tines of a fork to loosen the crystals. It can be kept in the freezer for a few days.