The following recipe and photography was provided courtesy of Julia of A Cedar Spoon.
This set-it-and-forget-it spin on classic lasagna is a great way to enjoy comfort food on any weeknight.
Prepared quickly and finished in a slow cooker while you go about your day, this dish has the most mouthwatering flavor from ground sausage and beef, rich tomatoes, vegetables and a creamy cheese mixture.
- Cook time:
- Prep time:
- Total time:
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 lb. Heinen's CARE Certified Italian pork sausage, casings removed
- 1 lb. Heinen's CARE Certified ground beef
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 cup sweet onion, chopped
- 3 carrots, diced
- 2 celery stalks, diced
- 1 15 oz. can of diced tomatoes
- 1 15 oz. can of tomato sauce
- 1 6 oz. can of tomato paste
- 1 tsp. oregano
- 1/2 tsp. thyme
- 9-10 lasagna noodles
- 2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese, divided
- 1 1/2 cups cottage cheese
- 1 cup ricotta cheese (part-skim)
- 1/4 cup parmesan cheese
- Fresh parsley, for garnish
- Fresh basil, for garnish
- In a large pot, heat 2 Tbsp. of olive oil over medium-high heat. Add the ground beef and sausage, breaking up the meat with a wooden spoon as it cooks. Cook until it is browned, about 5 minutes. Drain the fat and return to the pot.
- Add the garlic, onion, carrots, celery, diced tomatoes, tomato sauce, tomato paste, oregano and thyme and simmer for 10 minutes. Remove from the heat. Set aside.
- In another mixing bowl, combine 1 cup mozzarella cheese, 1 1/2 cups cottage cheese and 1 cup part-skim ricotta cheese. Mix well.
- Spray the slow cooker with a nonstick spray.
- Spread an even layer of the meat sauce on the bottom of the slow cooker. Layer three noodles on top of the sauce, breaking them as needed to make them fit. Follow with another even layer of meat sauce, then the cheese mixture, then more noodles. Repeat two more times. You should end with sauce on top of noodles.
- Spread the 1 remaining cup of mozzarella cheese over top of the sauce.
- Cook on low for 3-4 hours, or until the cheese is just bubbling and the noodles are soft. Do not overcook or the noodles or they will become tough.
- Remove the lid, sprinkle with Parmesan cheese, fresh parsley and basil. Serve warm.