The following recipe and photography were provided by our partner, Yoko Segawa of Yoko’s Kitchen.
Smoked salmon and peak season citrus are a match made in flavor heaven!
With spring right around the corner, my mind is spinning with exciting new ways to bring refreshing flavor and color back into my meals, especially for brunch. For me, there are two key ingredients that every good brunch needs: smoked salmon and fresh fruit.
You’ll often see smoked salmon served lox-style on bagels with cream cheese and capers, and fresh fruit is commonly tossed in a big bowl and served as a salad! Well, this recipe combines these two staples into one delicious dish.
Served over a bed of crisp, peppery arugula, blood oranges and cocktail grapefruits are the stars of this salad, and I got all of the ingredients fresh from Heinen’s. The late winter season is when citrus is at its best in Heinen’s Produce Department, so be sure to stock up while the picking is ripe. And, when you’re done, head over to Heinen’s Seafood Department for a package of their premium smoked salmon. The velvety smooth texture and fresh flavor is second to none.
Tossed together with beautiful ribboned cucumbers, toasted pine nuts and a simple herby lemon vinaigrette, this salad is nothing short of show-stopping.
- Prep time:
- Total time:
For the Salad
- ¼ cup Heinen’s pine nuts
- 6 cups Heinen’s arugula
- 2 mini cucumbers, sliced into ribbons
- 2 blood oranges, peeled, sliced and seeded
- 1 cocktail grapefruit, peeled, sliced and seeded
- 4 oz. Heinen’s smoked salmon
For the Vinaigrette
- 3 Tbsp. freshly squeezed lemon juice, about 1 lemon
- ⅓ cup Heinen’s extra virgin olive oil
- 1 Tbsp. fresh dill, chopped
- 1 Tbsp. fresh chives, chopped
- 1 tsp. Heinen’s honey
- Sea salt
- In a cold dry skillet, add the pine nuts in an even layer. Cook over medium heat until golden brown and fragrant, tossing frequently for 3-5 minutes. Remove from the heat and let cool.
- In a small bowl or jar, whisk together all of the ingredients for the vinaigrette. Season to taste with salt.
- In a large salad bowl, add the arugula and cucumbers. Drizzle half of the vinaigrette over the salad and toss. Arrange the oranges, grapefruit and smoked salmon on top. Scatter the pine nuts and drizzle the remaining vinaigrette over top.