- Total time:
The recipes and photography for this post were provided by local blogger, Abby Thome of The Thome Home.
This is a lengthy name for the simplest pasta dish you’ll make all summer long! Tiny bits of orzo, tossed with a lemon dressing, mixed together with sundried tomatoes, basil, roasted squash and zucchini. Oh, and let’s not forget the Heinen’s Parmigiano Reggiano! Grab your grocery basket and get ready to make this light and delicious dish you can enjoy for lunch or dinner.
Here’s how to make this delightful meal!
Sundried Tomato Orzo with Squash
- Pre heat oven to 400* Line a baking sheet with foil and nonstick spray
- Take a second and get a pot going for the orzo, get that water boiling!
- Wash, dry, and cube the squash and zucchini
- Place squash and zucchini on baking sheet – toss with extra virgin olive oil, 1/2 tbsp garlic powder, salt and pepper
- BAKE for 20 minutes at 400*
- By now you should have boiling water to toss your Orzo into – cook according to package, usually 9-11 minutes.
- Once cooked, drain and set aside in the glass bowl
Time for the dressing!
- Whisk together the olive oil, apple cider vinegar, lemon juice + zest, garlic powder, salt and pepper.
- While the Orzo is still warm, add 3 Tbsp of Sundried Tomatoes that are julienned – let the oil stay with what you scoop!
- Pour in the dressing, toss until pasta is evenly coated.
- Once squash and zucchini are cooked, add it to the pasta.
- Stir in 1/2 cup Parmigiano Reggiano, and julienned basil (approx. 3 Tbsp)
This Parmigiano Reggiano is beyond decadent! It is rich and nutty, giving this light pasta a bit of depth that it needs!
This orzo dish would be fantastic with grilled chicken or fish on the side. But you know me, I love a good vegetarian dinner! Pairing this pasta dish with a large baguette that has been grilled to perfection would be delicious! Simply slice a French baguette in half – spread a quality butter on top and place it on the grill until you achieve grill marks. Remove, and break off pieces to set beside this beautiful vegetable orzo dish!