The following recipe and photography were provided by local blogger Abby Thome of The Thome Home.
School is back in session, and if your family is anything like mine, they want a snack the minute they get home!
Having nutritionally dense snacks on hand that are as visually appealing as they are delicious is key to my kids gravitating towards a healthier snack option.
I have spent years creating different energy bites for my family and this new Trail Mix Energy Bite is incredible!
These little bites are loaded with good-for-you ingredients including ground flaxseed, chia seeds and oats, which help keep your belly full all while providing a nutritional boost.
The best part is that they can be stored in your fridge for up to three weeks.
- Prep time:
- Total time:
- 12 Bites
- 2 1/2 cups Heinen’s organic old fashion oats
- 1 cup Heinen’s cranberry trail mix
- 1/2 cup organic ground flaxseed
- 1/4 cup organic chia seeds
- 1/2 cup Heinen’s pure organic maple syrup
- 1 lb. container Heinen’s fresh ground honey roasted peanut butter
- 1 tsp. Heinen's cinnamon
- 1/2 cup mini chocolate candies (or Heinen's mini chocolate chips)
- In a food processor, add the oats, flaxseed and trail mix. Blend until the oats and trial mix are finely crumbled.
- Add the maple syrup, honey roasted peanut butter and cinnamon. Blend until a dough forms and all of the ingredients are evenly combined.
- Stir in the mini chocolate candies.
- Using a small cookie scoop, scoop the dough into your hands and roll and squeeze the dough together to form bite-size balls.
- Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 weeks.