Bone broth dates back to our hunter-gather ancestors. They found ways to use all parts of the animal, including applying heat to soften the bones to draw out the nutrients.
Fast-forward to these modern times and you too can prepare a batch of bone broth. Start with virtually any animal bones (cow, veal, lamb, bison, venison, chicken, duck, goose, turkey or fish), add an acidic liquid (like apple cider vinegar) to liberate key minerals, and vegetables, garlic, and your favorite herbs and spices for flavor. Cover with water and simmer for 12-24 hours in a big pot stovetop or in a slow cooker. The resulting broth is then used for soups, sauces, or sipping.
5 Ways to Benefit from Bone Broth
It amazes me to think how intuitive our ancestors were…or better yet, how intentional Mother Nature is in her design. Take a look at all of the ways your health can be supported by the addition of bone broth:
- Joint protection: Animal bones contain the protein collagen, which turns into gelatin when cooked—both healing compounds to restore bone and joint health.
- Gut health and immune system support: The abundance of gelatin in bone broth helps restore the strength of the gut lining, which is beneficial in preventing leaky gut syndrome. Leaky gut occurs when undigested particles from foods seep through tiny openings in the weakened intestinal lining and enter the bloodstream, where the immune system detects them and becomes hyperactive. Gelatin also helps with the growth of good bacteria, fights food sensitivities and supports healthy inflammation levels in the digestive tract.
- Youthful skin: Collagen forms elastin, which is responsible for decreasing the visible signs of wrinkles and cellulite. Bonus!
- Boosts detoxification: Bone broth is considered a powerful detoxification agent. It helps the digestive system expel waste, promotes the liver’s ability to remove toxins, helps maintain tissue integrity, and improves the body’s use of antioxidants.
- Aids the metabolism: Glutamine (an amino acid) and glutathione (an antioxidant) help to support a healthy metabolism. Lucky for you, bone broth is an easy way to obtain both!
Forms of Bone Broth at Heinen’s
You can find bone broth in three convenient varieties at your local Heinen’s: frozen, shelf stable, and powdered.
- Frozen bone broth like Bonafide Provisions organic chicken and beef broth, can be easily thawed and used in your favorite recipes.
- Heinen’s shelf stable organic chicken and beef bone broth offer the convenience of being ready-to-serve.
- Powdered bone broth is derived from real bone broth liquid. It’s dehydrated to remove the liquid and then processed and made into a concentrated powder that is shelf-stable. Ancient Nutrition offers two great options: Bone Broth Protein and Multi Collagen Protein.
Bone Broth Meal Ideas
Adding bone broth to your meals couldn’t be easier. Try one of these convenient ideas to get you started:
- Use in place of water to sauté vegetables and to boil quinoa.
- Make a savory oatmeal using bone broth in place of water. Then top it off with a cooked egg and leftover veggies from last night’s dinner.
- Enjoy in place of your morning coffee.
- Use in sauces and soups! Check out this week’s featured recipe for Bone Broth Tomato Sauce.
- Drink a cup for a pre or post workout snack.
- Add a scoop of Ancient Nutrition Bone Broth Protein or Multi Collagen Protein to your morning smoothie. Try this simple recipe for Cherry Vanilla Smoothie!
- Mix a scoop of chocolate Bone Broth Protein or Multi Collagen Protein with 8 ounces of hot unsweetened almond milk for an amazing hot cocoa!
Food for Thought …
As with all things, consistency is key. Think of bone broth like a multi-vitamin supplement and make it a habit by adding it to your daily routine. For example, you could sip on a mug of bone broth while preparing dinner or as a way to relax in the evening.
Personalized Nutrition Services
Want a store tour so you can make better choices when you shop? Need help understanding what foods would help you meet your health goals? Managing or concerned about health issues and need help with your diet? Check out the Club Fx services with Heinen’s Wellness Consultants and Registered Dietitians and book an appointment today!