The following recipe and photography were provided by local blogger Carolyn Hodges of The Dinner Shift.
Move over chicken, there’s a new chick in town! Heinen’s canned chickpeas stand in for chicken in this plant-based version of a buffalo chicken salad sandwich. Ready in about 10 minutes, it makes for a quick and healthy lunch and doubles as a dip or spread for your appetizer table. It can be prepped ahead and refrigerated for up to 5 days to enjoy throughout the week.
Hummus replaces mayo as the binder in this recipe. Heinen’s has a wide assortment of hummus varieties, but their sriracha carrot hummus is the perfect fresh and bold match for this zesty salad!
- Prep time:
- Total time:
- 1 can Heinen’s organic chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- ⅓ cup Heinen’s sriracha carrot hummus
- 2 Tbsp. Frank’s RedHot buffalo wings hot sauce
- ¼ tsp. garlic powder
- ¼ tsp. onion powder
- 1 celery stalk, finely chopped
- 1 green onion, thinly sliced
- Salt, to taste
- Dave’s Killer Bread thin-sliced sprouted whole grains
- Sliced tomato
- Spinach leaves
- Use a potato masher or fork to mash the chickpeas (don’t over-mash – you still want some texture).
- In a large bowl, combine the mashed chickpeas, hummus, hot sauce, garlic powder and onion powder. Mix until well combined. Fold in the celery and green onions, then season to taste with salt.
- Serve the chickpea salad on lightly toasted bread topped with tomato and spinach.
- Chickpea salad will keep in the fridge for 4-5 days.