Recipe, video and photography provided by Heinen’s partner, Chef Billy Parisi.
Refreshing and vibrant to the eyes and taste buds, this Carrot Orange Soup is the healthy dish you need to brighten up your winter dinner routine.
In addition to the great flavors and good-for-you ingredients, this soup has the added bonus of being vegan-friendly!
- Cook time:
- Prep time:
- Total time:
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- 2 small yellow onions, peeled and medium diced
- 1 tsp. sugar
- 4 cups carrots, peeled and roughly chopped
- 8 cups vegetable stock
- Zest and juice of 1 orange
- Pinch of nutmeg
- Pinch of cinnamon
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Add olive oil and onions to a large pot over medium-low heat and caramelize the onions until browned, about 15-20 minutes.
- Sprinkle in the sugar and garlic and cook for another 3-4 minutes.
- Add the carrots and stock and bring to a boil, then turn the heat down to medium and cook for 20-25 minutes or until the carrots are tender.
- Transfer the mixture to a blender and pulse on high speed until smooth.
- Return the soup to the original pot and stir in the orange zest, orange juice, nutmeg, cinnamon, salt and pepper.
- Serve with chopped fresh thyme, if desired.