Learn how easy it is to make a tasty Hunan Chicken recipe that is just as good as takeout. This dish is loaded with stir-fried chicken, peppers, zucchini and green onions in a zesty sauce.
Why You’ll Love This Recipe:
- This recipe allows you to create a takeout classic at home in under 30 minutes.
- You can use Heinen’s Recipe Ready Pre-Cut Vegetables (found in our Produce Department) as a shortcut.
- Hunan Chicken is mild and savory in flavor, but if you want to kick up the heat level, you can add more chili sauce (to taste) or finish with your favorite Sriracha-style sauce.
- Cook time:
- Prep time:
- Total time:
For the Chicken and Vegetables:
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken thighs cut into small bite-size pieces
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 2 Tbsp. Heinen's avocado oil
- 2 seeded red bell peppers, cut into 1" pieces
- 1 zucchini, cut into 1" cubes
- 1 yellow squash, cut into 1" cubes
- 1 bunch green onions, cut into 1" pieces
- Rice, cooked or rice noodles (for serving)
For the Sauce:
- 2 Tbsp. rice vinegar
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 Tbsp. chili garlic sauce
- 3 Tbsp. honey
- 1/4 cup black bean garlic sauce (optional)
- 1 Tbsp. Heinen's avocado oil
- 2 garlic cloves, finely minced
- 2 tsp. fresh gingery, finely minced
- In a bowl, mix together the chicken, cornstarch and soy sauce until combined. Set aside in the refrigerator while you prep the peppers, zucchini, squash and green onions.
- For the sauce, whisk together the vinegar, soy sauce, water, chili garlic sauce, honey and optional black bean garlic sauce in a bowl until combined and set aside.
- In a large, non-stick skillet or wok over high heat, add in 2 tablespoons of avocado oil. Once it begins to lightly smoke, add the chicken and spread it all over the pan so that it browns easily.
- Cook the chicken for 2 minutes before stir-frying it using a large spoon until browned on all sides and cooked throughout. This will take an additional 2 minutes.
- Set the chicken aside and place the skillet back on the burner over high heat with 1 tablespoon of avocado oil.
- Add in the peppers, zucchini and yellow squash. Stir-fry for 30 seconds.
- Next, add in the garlic and ginger. Stir-fry for an additional 30 seconds.
- Place in the cooked chicken and sauce and cook for 2-3 minutes on high heat or until the sauce becomes thick.
- Finish by stirring in green onions. Serve with optional cooked white rice or rice noodles.