Try something new and whip up this simple to prepare and great tasting Shakshuka. Tender eggs are poached in a sauce of sauteed onions, peppers, garlic and plum tomatoes then topped with feta cheese and fresh microgreens. Great for breakfast or dinner.
1 small diced yellow onion
2 finely minced cloves of garlic
½ peeled and medium diced eggplant
1 seeded and small diced jalapeno
1 seeded and small diced red bell pepper
1 tablespoon of olive oil
juice of 1 lemon
2-28 ounce cans of crushed plum tomatoes
1 teaspoon of ground cumin
2 cups of packed baby spinach
feta cheese for garnish
mico greens for garnish
Kosher salt and fresh cracked pepper to taste
- Preheat the oven to 350°.
- In a large cast iron skillet on high heat with olive oil, roast the onions, garlic, egg plant and peppers until lightly browned, about 5 to 6 minutes.
- Next, deglaze with lemon juice and add in the plum tomatoes, cumin, and salt and pepper and stew on low heat for 3 to 4 minutes.
- Fold in the spinach to the mixture and then crack 5 eggs right on top of the shakshuka and bake at 350° for 12 to 15 minutes.
- Garnish with feta cheese and micro greens.
Recipe created by Chef Billy Parisi l Click here to print this recipe