This recipe uses Hatch Chiles to flavor slow roasted pulled pork.
We love it on brioche buns with avocado and slaw salad, but it’s great in tacos, as a pizza topping, served with egg noodles or as a topping for nachos. Pair it with an iced cold ale and summer just keeps getting better. I know the kids have gone back to school but I’m in denial. It’s still summer!
Pulled pork couldn’t be easier to make. It takes time but little effort. It all starts with a peeled and quartered onion and a piece of pork shoulder in a heavy pot. Add the rest of the ingredients, pop it in the oven at 300°F for 6 hours and it is ready to enjoy.
- Cook time:
- Prep time:
- Total time:
For the Pulled Pork
- 1 large sweet onion
- 1 5-7 lb. Heinen's CARE Certified Pork Shoulder
- 3 Hatch Chiles, halved and seeded
- 2 cans Dr. Pepper
- 2 Tbsp. brown sugar
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 11 oz. can chipotle peppers in adobo
For the Sauce
- 1 cup sour cream
- 2 Tbsp. mayo
- Juice of 1/2 lemon
- 1 garlic clove, finely grated
- 2-3 Tbsp. hot sauce, to taste
- Preheat the oven to 300°F.
- Peel the onion and cut it into wedges. Lay them in the bottom of a large Dutch oven.
- Generously salt and pepper the pork roast, then set it on top of the onions in the pan.
- Add the halved Hatch Chile peppers along with the chipotle peppers.
- Pour in both cans of Dr. Pepper. Add the brown sugar to the juice and stir.
- Place the lid tightly on pot, then set the pot in the oven. Cook for at least six hours, turning the roast two or three times during the cooking process. Check the meat after six hours; it should be falling apart (use two forks to test.) If it’s not falling apart, return it to the oven for another half hour, test again.
- Remove the meat from the pot and place on a cutting board or another work surface. Use two forks to shred the meat, discarding large pieces of fat. Shred the onion and pepper pieces, along with the meat. You can remove the large pepper pieces at this point if you prefer a more mild flavor.
- Strain as much of the fat off the top of the cooking liquid as you can and discard it. Return the shredded meat, peppers and onions to the cooking liquid and keep warm until ready to serve.
- Mix together all of the sauce ingredients.
- Serve the pork on brioche buns with baby lettuce, or your favorite slaw, sliced avocado and the sauce.