The following recipe, video and photography were provided by our partner, Alissa DiSanto of Sauced By Sunday.
‘Tis the season for all things red, white and blue, including food!
National holidays are sprinkled all throughout the summer, which gives people the perfect excuse to get outside and enjoy a refreshing meal with friends and family! If you find yourself with a calendar full of BBQs on these holiday weekends, offer to bring this incredibly easy and festive fruit salsa as an appetizer!
Featuring ripe red strawberries, plump blueberries, subtly sweet white jicama and jalapenos for a little heat, all you have to do is chop, mix and serve with your favorite tortilla chips. Heinen’s offers organic white corn and blue corn tortilla chips under their brand, so grab a bag of each to add even more color to this bright appetizer.
Now you may be wondering, what the heck is jicama? It’s a potato-like root vegetable with a thick brown outer skin and white flesh that tastes like an apple with a little less sweetness. Often enjoyed raw in dishes like salads and this fruit salsa, it can also be steamed, boiled, sautéed or fried. In addition to its versatility, it’s also low in calories, sugar and fat but has an extremely high fiber content, which makes this appetizer that much better for you. For this fruit salsa, simply peel the jicama and chop it into small pieces or, if you can’t find jicama, grab dragon fruit from Heinen’s tropical fruit selection. If you need help finding any of these items, ask the Produce Associate at your local Heinen’s. They can even help cut the fruit for you in advance!
Finished with a squeeze of lime, a handful of fresh cilantro and salt, make this simple salsa your go-to party contribution or healthy at-home snack this summer! Each chip-full will taste like fireworks in your mouth!
- Prep time:
- Total time:
- 3 Cups
- 1 cup fresh blueberries
- 1 cup strawberries, diced
- 1 cup jicama or dragon fruit, diced
- ¼ cup red onion, finely chopped
- ½ jalapeno, finely chopped (remove seeds and ribs, if desired)
- Juice of 1 lime
- 1/3 cup cilantro, roughly chopped
- A pinch of salt
- 1-2 Tbsp. Heinen’s raw honey (optional)
- Heinen’s tortilla chips, for serving
- Add all of the ingredients to a bowl. Stir to combine. Taste and season with more salt, if needed. For a sweeter salsa sweeter, add 1-2 Tbsp. of Heinen’s raw honey.
- Serve cold alongside Heinen’s tortilla chips.