The recipe and photography for this post was provided by Carolyn Hodges of The Dinner Shift.
I love the flavors of a tomato basil caprese salad in the summertime, but there’s no reason those fresh flavors can’t be enjoyed year-round! This quick Baked Chicken Caprese incorporates all the ingredients of the classic salad into a one-pan main dish that takes less than 30 minutes to prepare. It’s a fresh and easy way to switch up your chicken routine!
To prepare this dish, you’ll sear Gerber’s boneless skinless chicken breasts on the stove, then cover them with jarred sun-dried tomato bruschetta sauce and fresh mozzarella before finishing them off in the oven. After a quick bake, top the chicken with chopped, fresh tomatoes and basil and serve alongside a simple cooked grain, like brown rice, and a vegetable, like green beans or salad.
- Cook time:
- Prep time:
- Total time:
- 1 ½ lbs. Gerber’s boneless skinless chicken breasts
- ¼ tsp. garlic powder
- Salt and pepper
- 1 Tbsp. light olive oil or other cooking oil
- 2 Tbsp. sun-dried tomato pesto/bruschetta topping
- 4 oz. fresh mozzarella, sliced
- 1 tomato, chopped
- Fresh basil, julienned
- Preheat oven to 425˚F.
- Season chicken breasts on both sides with garlic powder, then salt and pepper to taste.
- Heat oil in an oven-safe skillet over medium heat. Once the pan is hot (oil will “shimmer”), add chicken in a single layer and sear on one side for 3 minutes. Flip and sear for 2 minutes more, then top each chicken breast with some of the pesto followed by the mozzarella.
- Transfer the pan to oven and bake for 7-10 minutes (depending on the thickness of the chicken), or until internal temperature reaches 165˚F. Remove the pan from oven, cover and let stand for 5 minutes. Cover the pan handle with an oven mitt or kitchen towel to remind you its hot!
- Remove the lid and top chicken with chopped tomato, basil and more freshly cracked black pepper.
- Serve with rice and a simple cooked vegetable or green salad.