The following recipe and photography were provided by local blogger Carolyn Hodges of The Dinner Shift.
Chicken pot pie is one of my family’s all-time favorite comfort food meals. This noodle skillet version delivers all the flavor and nostalgia of a classic pot pie in half the time. It’s ready in just 30 minutes and perfect for busy weeknights.
I suggest using Inn Maid Wide Egg Noodles. They’re made in Ohio’s Amish Country and hold up well in this hearty skillet. Don’t forget to take advantage of Heinen’s frozen vegetables, including my family’s favorite organic peas and carrots blend, to cut down on prep time.
- Cook time:
- Prep time:
- Total time:
- 1 8 oz. package Inn Maid Wide Egg Noodles
- 1 ½ Tbsp. olive oil, divided
- 1 lb. CARE Certified Gerber’s boneless skinless chicken breasts
- Kosher salt and black pepper
- 2 Tbsp. unsalted butter
- 1 cup onion, finely chopped
- 1 Tbsp. minced garlic
- 2 tsp. poultry seasoning
- ¼ cup flour
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1 cup low sodium chicken broth
- 1 ½ cups Heinen’s organic frozen peas and carrots
- 1 cup Heinen's frozen corn
- 1 Tbsp. lemon juice, to taste
- Prepare the egg noodles according to the package directions.
- Drain well but don’t rinse. Toss with ½ Tbsp. of olive oil (to prevent the noodles from sticking together) and set aside.
- Heat the remaining 1 Tbsp. of olive oil in a large, heavy skillet or non-stick pan over medium-high heat. Season the chicken liberally with salt and pepper. Once the oil is hot and “shimmers,” add the chicken breasts in a single layer.
- Allow the chicken breasts to cook for 5 minutes without moving them, then flip and continue to cook for 5-8 minutes, or until the chicken is cooked through.
- Transfer the chicken to a plate and cover with foil to rest for 5 minutes, then cut into bite-size pieces.
- Return the pan to burner (don’t wipe it out), reduce heat to medium and add the butter.
- Once the butter melts, add the chopped onion and sauté for 5-6 minutes. Stir in the minced garlic and poultry seasoning and cook for 30 seconds, stirring constantly.
- Add the flour and cook for 30 more seconds, stirring constantly.
- Whisk in the milk and broth and bring to a simmer.
- After 2-3 minutes, the mixture will begin to thicken. Add the frozen peas, carrots and corn and cook for 1-2 minutes, or until heated through.
- Stir in the lemon juice and season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Fold in the cooked egg noodles and chicken. Stir well to coat.