The following recipe and photography were provided by local blogger Abby Thome of The Thome Home.
Football season is kicking off and whether or not your team puts any points on the board, this appetizer is a guaranteed “touchdown!”
BelGioioso’s mozzarella snacking cheese is the perfect shape to take on a crispy Italian-seasoned panko breading. Crunchy, melty and paired with Heinen’s prepared marinara and pesto sauces for dipping, these deep fried beauties will be the MVP of every tailgate!
- Cook time:
- Prep time:
- Total time:
- 20 Bites
- 2 packages of BelGioioso mozzarella snacking cheese, unwrapped
- 1 cup unbleached all-purpose flour
- 4 cups Heinen’s panko breadcrumbs
- 4 eggs, whisked
- 2 Tbsp. Heinen’s Italian seasoning
- Kosher salt, for seasoning
- 48 oz. Heinen's vegetable oil
- Chopped parsley, for garnish
- Heinen's marinara sauce, for serving
- Heinen's pesto sauce, for serving
- Unwrap the mozzarella pearls and freeze in a single layer on a larger plate for 20 minutes or until firm.
- Create a dredging station with three bowls. Add the flour to the first bowl, the whisked eggs to the second bowl and the panko bread crumbs and Italian seasoning to the third bowl.
- Dip each firm mozzarella pearl in the flour, shaking off any excess. Transfer to the egg mixture and coat evenly. Transfer to the panko mixture and roll to coat. Transfer the mozzarella back into the egg mixture, followed by the panko mixture for a thicker crust. Repeat until all mozzarella pearls are coated.
- Place the coated mozzarella pearls back onto the plate and freeze for 10 minutes.
- Pour the vegetable oil into deep saucepan or Dutch oven, about 1-inch deep, and warm over medium-high heat. Line a cooling rack paper towels to soak up any excess oil after frying.
- Drop a small piece of panko into the hot oil. If it bubbles, the oil is ready for frying.
- Fry a few mozzarella pearls at a time for 2 minutes, turning continuously until they’re golden brown.
- Remove from the oil and place onto the cooling rack.
- Sprinkle with kosher salt while hot and garnish with chopped parsley.
- Serve with Heinen’s marinara and pesto sauces for dipping.