The following recipe and photography was provided courtesy of our friends at Smith’s Dairy.
Filet Mignon is no longer just an entrée!
If you’re looking to elevate your holiday appetizer repertoire, layer juicy sliced steak and a simple horseradish sauce on toasted French bread with savory capers and watch your guests devour every bite!
- Cook time:
- Prep time:
- Total time:
- 16-20 Crostini
- 1 1/2 - 2 lbs. Heinen's CARE Certified filet mignon
- 1/2 cup Smith's old fashioned sour cream
- 2 Tbsp. prepared horseradish
- 2 Tbsp. fresh tarragon, minced
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- Dash of Worcestershire sauce, optional
- 1 French baguette
- 1 cup fresh arugula
- 1-2 Tbsp. Heinen's organic capers
- Olive oil, sea salt and pepper, to taste
For the Filet Mignon
- Preheat the oven to 450˚F, or 440˚F if using a convection oven.
- Remove the filet mignon from the refrigerator about 15 minutes before cooking to allow it to come to room temperature.
- Pat the filet mignon dry with a paper towel and sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Add olive oil to a pan over high heat. Place the filet mignon in the hot pan and sear each side for 2-3 minutes to lock in the moisture.
- Transfer the pan to the preheated oven and roast for 7-8 minutes for medium-rare, or 8-10 minutes or medium-well.
- Let the meat rest under aluminum foil for 10 minutes.
- Slice into think pieces.
For the Creamy Horseradish Sauce
- Combine the Smith’s old fashioned sour cream, prepared horseradish, tarragon, mayonnaise and Worcestershire sauce in a bowl and set aside.
For the Crostini
- Reduce the oven temperature to 425˚F.
- Cut the French baguette into 16-20 slices.
- Brush olive oil on both sides of each slice.
- Bake for 6-8 minutes until your desired crispiness is achieved.
- Cool on a wire rack.
- Place a few pieces of arugula on each toasted bread slice.
- Add a slice of filet mignon, a dollop of creamy horseradish sauce and a garnish of capers.
- Serve warm or cold.