The following recipe and photography were provided courtesy of Julia of A Cedar Spoon.
If you’re looking to better your eating habits, Mediterranean recipes are the perfect place to start since they primarily utilize whole food ingredients and healthy fats.
Featuring orzo, chickpeas, fire roasted tomatoes, warm spices, fresh kale, lemon juice and feta cheese, this hearty vegetarian dish makes a fresh and flavorful main meal or side dish.
- Cook time:
- Prep time:
- Total time:
- 3 Tbsp. olive oil
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 small sweet onion, diced
- 1 small zucchini, diced
- 1 bell pepper, seeded and diced
- 2 tsp. Heinen's oregano
- 1/2 tsp. Heinen's crushed red pepper flakes
- 2 tsp. Heinen's smoked paprika
- 1 tsp. Heinen's coriander
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/8 tsp. pepper
- 3 Tbsp. tomato paste
- 1 15 oz. can Heinen's fire roasted tomatoes
- 1 15 oz. can Heinen's chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 2 cups Heinen's vegetable broth
- 1 cup orzo
- 2 cups kale, chopped
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley, chopped
- 8-10 fresh basil leaves, chopped
- 2 Tbsp. fresh dill, chopped
- 1 lemon, 1/2 sliced and 1/2 juiced
- 1/2 cup feta cheese, crumbled
- Pita or naan bread, for serving
- Preheat the oven to 350˚F.
- Heat a large oven-safe skillet over medium heat and add 3 Tbsp. of olive oil. Add the garlic and onion and sauté for 2 minutes.
- Add the zucchini, bell peppers, oregano, crushed red pepper flakes, smoked paprika, coriander, salt and pepper.
- Continue to sauté for another 4-5 minutes.
- Add the tomato paste and sauté for another 2 minutes.
- Add the fire roasted tomatoes, chickpeas, vegetable broth and orzo. Stir well.
- Cover with a lid and put the skillet in the oven. Bake for 10-15 minutes, or until the orzo is soft. You will want to stir the orzo once or twice during the cook time to keep it from sticking to the bottom of the skillet.
- Remove from the oven and add the kale. Stir and return to the oven for 2 more minutes, or until the kale is wilted.
- Stir in the fresh herbs and lemon juice.
- Sprinkle with feta cheese and serve with lemon slices and pita or or naan bread.
- You can easily make this on the stovetop . Instead of transferring the pot to the oven, simply cover and simmer on the stove for 10-12 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Feel free to add any vegetables you have on hand. Other tasty additions include carrots, celery and red onion.
- Goat cheese is another nice option in place of feta cheese.
- Try adding protein like grilled chicken, salmon, shrimp or steak.