The following recipe, video and photography were provided by our partner, Chef Billy Parisi.
If you find yourself stuck with loads of leftovers after an Easter celebration, don’t settle for the heat-and-eat routine! Instead, create something new by tossing your remaining ham and bone into this deliciously savory Split Pea Soup!
Slowly simmered with the ham bone to develop rich, meaty flavor, this simple soup is the ideal way to eat leftovers and keep you warm during the brisk spring season!
- Cook time:
- Prep time:
- Total time:
- 3 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 yellow onion, peeled and small diced
- 2 ribs of celery, small diced
- 2 carrots, peeled and small diced
- 2 garlic cloves, finely minced
- 1 lb. Heinen's split peas
- 8 cups Heinen's chicken stock
- 1 ham bone
- 1 bay leaf
- 8-10 fresh thyme sprigs
- 1 ½ cups diced ham
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Add the olive oil to a large pot over medium heat and cook the onions for 4-5 minutes, or until lightly browned.
- Add the celery, carrots and garlic and sauté for 2-3 minutes.
- Add the peas, chicken stock, ham bone, bay leaf and thyme sprigs. Cover with a lid and simmer over low heat for 75-80 minutes, or until the peas have broken down.
- Remove the bone, bay leaf and thyme and add the diced ham.
- Season with salt and pepper and serve.