Recipe, video and photography provided by Heinen’s partner, Chef Billy Parisi.
Warm, hearty and extra cheesy, it’s easy to create restaurant-style broccoli cheddar soup at home, in fact, it comes together in an instant.
Just in time for the chilly Midwest weather to set in, I am here share how to create a quick and classic Broccoli Cheddar Soup in an Instant Pot for an easy cheesy dinner.
- 2 Tbsp. unsalted butter
- 1 diced yellow onion, peeled and small
- 3 carrots, peeled and medium diced
- 3 stalks celery, medium diced
- 2 cloves garlic, finely minced
- 4 crowns broccoli, trimmed
- 96 oz. of chicken stock
- ¼ cup water
- 1/3 cup corn starch
- 2 cups whole milk
- 3 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Set an Instant Pot on the sauté function and add the butter, onions, carrots, celery and garlic. Cook for 5-7 minutes or until lightly browned.
- Add the broccoli and chicken stock and place the lid on the Instant Pot. Close the seal and cook on the pressure setting for 3 minutes.
- While it is cooking, stir together the water and corn starch until combined to form a slurry and set aside.
- Once the soup is done cooking, release the seal and let the pressure/steam completely empty out before removing the lid.
- Stir in the corn starch and water mixture and stir it in until it becomes thick. You may need to turn the sauté function back on to ensure the soup is hot enough to active the slurry.
- Add the milk and puree the soup until slightly chunky using a hand blender.
- Finish with cheese, salt and pepper and stir to combine.