The recipe and photography for this post was provided by Carolyn Hodges of The Dinner Shift.
In the time it takes to bring a pot of water to boil and cook pasta, you’ll have created a simple and delicious mushroom, garlic and herb sauce for the ultimate vegetarian meal. Mushrooms are earthy, meaty and pair so well with butter, garlic and herbs like thyme.
To cut down on prep time, I suggest buying pre-sliced mushrooms. This 20-minute recipe calls for sliced Baby Bellas, but you can swap in button mushrooms or any combination of mushrooms you like. To bump up the protein in this meatless pasta, I like to use Barilla’s Protein+ spaghetti.
- 3 Tbsp. unsalted butter
- 2 8 oz. packages sliced Baby Bella mushrooms
- 3-4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tsp. dried thyme
- Salt and pepper
- 14.5 oz. box Barilla Protein+ Spaghetti
- ½ cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 cup reserved pasta water
- Fresh chopped parsley
- Bring a pot of salted water to a boil for the pasta.
- As you wait for the water to boil, melt the butter in a large non-stick skillet over medium heat.
- Add the sliced mushrooms and sauté for about 5 minutes, or until reduced by half.
- Stir in the garlic and thyme and season with salt and pepper. Cook for 1 minute more.
- When the water is boiling, drop in the pasta and cook until al dente, about 7 minutes.
- Reserve a cup of the pasta water, then drain and return pasta to the pot.
- Add the mushrooms and any sauce from the skillet, tossing well to coat.
- Fold in the Parmesan cheese and enough pasta water to create a thin sauce. Toss in the parsley and serve.