The following recipe and photography is courtesy of Graham R. and his dog, Carl. For more of their delicious food ventures, visit them on Instagram @cookingwithcarrrl.
They say you are what you eat. Well, this year I flipped the script and made what I am every holiday season – a pig in a blanket. I couldn’t make ordinary pigs in a blanket for a season that’s so special, so I made a Pigs in a Blanket Wreath that’s festive as all get out and Instagram worthy! You read that right, these little piggies are lined up like a Christmas wreath, because just like your door, your table deserves to be decorated too! This appetizer is sure to light up any holiday get together.
I decked this wreath with boughs of rosemary (sorry, holly) and a sprinkle of Two Brothers everything bagel seasoning. This seasoning has been popular for a while now and for good reason. It’s amazing on everything from bagels to ramen to pigs in a blanket, and Heinen’s version is the real deal. I always have it on my spice rack. Be sure to grab a bottle on your next trip to Heinen’s, and check out all of their seasonings while you’re at it.
Save this recipe for Christmas Eve and set aside a slice for Santa – the big man needs a break from the cookies! Or even try it out for breakfast using breakfast sausage, maple syrup and whipped cream cheese.
Time for these little piggies to head to market!
- Cook time:
- Prep time:
- Total time:
- 1 package of Lit’l Smokies sausages
- 1 package croissant rolls
- 1 Tbsp. Dijon mustard
- 1 Heinen’s cage-free egg
- ½ tsp. cold water
- 1 Tbsp. Two Brothers everything bagel seasoning
- Heinen’s chili sauce
- 8-10 sprigs rosemary, for garnish
- Preheat the oven to 350˚F.
- Remove the croissant dough from the package and brush with Dijon mustard. Slice each triangle into three equal-sized pieces.
- Place one sausage on the thicker end of one piece of dough and roll it up like you would a croissant. Repeat until all of the dough is used.
- Place the rolled sausages on a parchment-lined baking sheet in a circle so that they touch one another. To help form the circular shape, place the condiment bowl in the center of the baking sheet at the beginning and lay the wrapped sausages around it. This will ensure that the hole in the center of the wreath fits the condiment bowl.
- Brush with egg wash (water and egg) and top with the everything bagel seasoning.
- Bake for 20 minutes. After 20 minutes, check on the wreath. If it is not done, cover with foil and bake for an additional 5 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool for 5 minutes.
- To serve, place the wreath on a large serving board or plate. Place the rosemary all the way around the outer edge of the wreath. Add a small bowl full of Heinen’s chili sauce to the center and enjoy!