Recipe, video and photography provided by Heinen’s partner, Chef Billy Parisi.
Pasta is a classic dinnertime dish that is sure to please everyone at the table. With the addition of fresh summer tomatoes and hearty Italian sausage, I’ve created a light and flavorful pasta that is perfect for the warm weather months.
Sausage and Tomato Pasta
- 1 lb. sweet Italian sausage
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- ½ yellow onion, peeled and sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, finely minced
- 4 cups assorted fresh tomatoes, sliced
- 1 cup of chicken stock
- 2 cups of packed baby spinach
- 1 lb. pasta
- 2 Tbsp. chopped fresh basil
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Cook the Italian sausage in a grill pan over medium-high heat for 5-6 minutes per side or until cooked through. Likewise, cook on a very hot grill (450°F to 550°F) for 5-6 minutes or until cooked through.
- Slice the sausage and set aside.
- In a large pot over medium heat, cook the onions and garlic in olive oil for 3-4 minutes or until lightly browned.
- Add the tomatoes and stew on medium heat for 5-7 minutes or until broken down.
- Add in the chicken stock, sausage and baby spinach and cook for 1 to 2 minutes or until the spinach is cooked. Set aside.
- Cook the pasta in boiling salted water according to the package instructions. Drain and add to the pot with tomatoes and sausage and season with salt and pepper and mix in the basil until combined.