- Prep time:
- Total time:
For the Sausage in Pastry:
- 1 pound chorizo, kielbasa or other spicy smoked sausage
- 1 box store bought frozen puff pastry (2 sheets)
- Egg wash made with 1 egg yolk beaten with 2 teaspoons water
For the Honey Mustard Sauce:
- 1/2 cup whole grain Dijon mustard
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon fennel seeds, ground in a mortar and pestle
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons dry white wine
Sausage in Pastry:
1. Open the sausage, remove it from its package and if it’s bent like most kielbasa, cut it in half into two logs. Dry the sausage with a paper towel. Set aside.
2. Trim the pastry so that it’s as long as the sausage and wide enough to roll around it with a 1/2-inch overlap. You may be able to cover both pieces of sausage with one sheet. Lay the sausage on the pastry and brush one long side with the egg wash. Roll the sausage in the pastry beginning at the unwashed side and ending at the egg washed end of pastry. Lightly press the pastry into itself along the seam to adhere and form a seal. Arrange the sausage on a parchment lined baking sheet seam side down. Refrigerate the pastry for at least 30 minutes to firm up. Repeat with the remaining sausage and pastry.
4. Bake the pastry wrapped sausage in the preheated oven for about 20-25 minutes or until the pastry is puffed and golden brown. Remove the sausage from the oven and let cool for 5 minutes before cutting into slices. Serve warm or at room temperature with the Honey Mustard Sauce.
Honey Mustard Sauce:
1. Whisk Dijon, mayonnaise, honey, thyme, fennel and black pepper in a bowl to blend. Thin to a dipping sauce consistency with the white wine. Let the sauce sit at room temperature for 1 hour to allow flavors to mix. Serve at room temperature and refrigerate leftover sauce for up to 1 week..
Recipe created by Chef Carla Snyder l Click here to print this recipe