The following recipe and photography was provided by recipe developer and food photographer, Ashley Durand of Plate & Pen.
We love dips in my house, and while it’s near impossible to pick a favorite, hummus definitely ranks at the top of my list. It’s hearty and filling and there are a million different ways to make it, so it never gets boring.
In the spirit of spring, I decided to take my classic homemade hummus and add one of my favorite seasonal veggies – carrots! Roasted with garlic for added flavor, these bright orange veggies provide the most vibrant color and flavor to this already delicious appetizer, in addition to extra vitamins and minerals. A healthy dip with an addicting taste? I call that a win-win!
Topping this dip is especially fun and makes for an enhanced presentation! In terms of herbs and oils, I recommend cilantro, parsley and olive oil, but don’t feel the need to go crazy buying bunch of additional ingredients. I find that using some of the ingredients in the dip as toppings works perfectly!
- Cook time:
- Prep time:
- Total time:
For the Spicy Roasted Carrot Dip
- 1 can Heinen's garbanzo beans
- 6 garlic cloves, peeled
- 2 cups carrots, peeled and chopped into rounds
- Juice of 1/2 lemon
- 1/3 cup Heinen's tahini
- 1/3 cup filtered water
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1/2 tsp. cumin
- 1/2 tsp. cayenne
- 1/2 tsp. black pepper
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. red pepper flakes
- A handful of pepitas
- Sliced lemon
- 1 tomato, small diced
- 1/2 cup cilantro, chopped
- Olive oil, for drizzling
- Carrots (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 400°F.
- Line a large baking tray with parchment paper.
- Spread the carrots and garlic evenly on the tray and drizzle with two Tbsp. of olive oil.
- Roast for 25 minutes.
- Once roasted, add the carrots and garlic to a food processor or high-power blender along with the garbanzo beans, tahini, lemon juice, water, extra olive oil and seasonings. Blend until your desired consistency is reached, adding water or olive oil if needed.
- Add the blended dip to a large serving bowl and finish with your desired toppings. Garnish with a drizzle of olive oil and serve.