- Total time:
- 1.5 gallons
This classic vegetable minestrone is the perfect thing to keep you warm on these cold winter nights.
1 tablespoon of olive oil
1 small diced onion
4 sliced stalks of celery
8 slices carrots
1 sliced zucchini
1 sliced yellow squash
½ pound of trimmed and sliced green beans
2 finely minced cloves of garlic
8 cups of vegetable stock
28 ounce can of diced tomatoes
three 15 ounce cans each of strained chick peas, cannellini and northern beans
1 tablespoon of dry oregano
1 tablespoon of fry basil
1 pound of cooked ditalini pasta
6 slices of white bread
1 cup of shredded gruyere cheese
2 tablespoons of melted unsalted butter
Kosher salt and fresh cracked pepper to taste
- In a large pot on high heat with olive oil add in the onions and sauté for 6 to 8 minutes or until browned.
- Once they are brown add in the sliced celery, carrots, zucchini, squash, green beans, garlic and vegetable stock and simmer over low heat.
- Next add in the tomatoes, beans, oregano, and basil and continue to simmer over low heat until the vegetables are tender.
- Adjust the seasonings of the soup with salt and pepper.
- Croutons: sprinkle some of the gruyere cheese onto a slice of white bread and then add a slice on top. Butter the outside of the white bread and cook in a Panini maker or over low heat in a sauté pan until crispy and brown.
- Cut the grilled cheese into small squares, like croutons.
- To Serve: Pour the soup along with a few tablespoons of the cooked ditalini pasta into a bowl and add in some of the grilled cheese crouton squares.
Download Recipe PDF | Recipe created by Chef Billy Parisi