The following recipe and photography were provided by local blogger Abby Thome of The Thome Home.
This vegetarian twist on the classic rueben sandwich is sure to knock your socks off!
Utilizing Heinen’s canned beets allows this pressed sandwich to come together quickly, making it the weeknight dinner. Bright and hearty, beets provide a beautiful pop of color and a nutritious boost of potassium, vitamin C and vitamin B9.
Layered with Swiss cheese, Thousand Island dressing and sauerkraut and grilled to perfection, serve this sandwich with your favorite kettle-cooked chip and your whole family will be thrilled!
- Cook time:
- Prep time:
- Total time:
- Rye bread
- Heinen’s canned sliced beets, larger pieces sliced in half
- Heinen’s Swiss cheese, sliced
- Thousand Island dressing
- Butter the outside of two slices of bread.
- Spread the Thousand Island dressing on the other side of each slice of bread.
- Place a piece of Swiss cheese onto each slice of bread.
- Layer the sliced beets onto one slice of bread.
- Top with sauerkraut.
- Top with the second piece of bread and use a panini press or griddle and cook until the cheese is melted and the bread is golden brown.