The following recipe and photography were provided courtesy of Bonafide Provisions.
Let’s put a “healthy” twist on the classic chicken & waffle recipe by adding Bonafide Provisions Chicken Bone Broth into the waffle mix AND into the chicken batter. You can’t go wrong with added flavor and nutrients in a classic dish like this!
Bone Broth Chicken and Waffles
For the Waffles
- 1 Bag Birch Benders Waffle Mix (makes approx. 8-10 waffles)
- 3-3 1/4 Cup Bonafide Provisions Chicken Bone Broth
For the Chicken
- 1 1/2- 2 lbs. chicken thigh
- 2 eggs, room temperature
- 1/3 cup Bonafide Provisions Chicken Bone Broth
- 1/2 cup gluten-free all-purpose baking flour (Like Bob’s Red Mill)
- 1 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tsp. sea salt
- 1 tsp. garlic powder
- 1 tsp. smoked paprika
- Coconut oil, for frying
- Chives, for garnish
- Whipped butter
- Maple syrup
- Mix waffle mix according to package instructions, replacing water with bone broth.
- Pour mixture onto waffle iron, cook according to waffle iron instructions.
- To make the chicken, start by combining eggs and chicken bone broth, whisk until completely combined and set aside
- Combine flour and spices, mix until completely combined and set aside
- Season chicken with sea salt and black pepper, dip the seasoned chicken in the egg and bone broth mixture, then coat in flour mixture.
- Heat coconut oil in a deep pot and heat until 350°F.
- Fry the chicken in coconut oil until golden brown and fully cooked, around 8-10 minutes depending on the size of chicken thigh.
- Place waffle on a plate, scoop 1-2 scoops of whipped butter onto the waffle, stack fried chicken on top, sprinkle chopped chives and drizzle with maple syrup.