Recipe, video and photography provided by Heinen’s partner, Chef Billy Parisi.
Craving Mexican food? Spice up dinner at home with Chicken Chiles Rellenos!
Roasted poblano peppers stuffed to the brim with shredded rotisserie chicken and cheese covered in a savory red sauce is a fiesta waiting to happen.
Interested in making this recipe? Order the ingredients online for Curbside Grocery Pickup or Delivery.
Chicken Chiles Rellenos
- Cook time:
- Prep time:
- Total time:
For the Chiles Rellenos
- 5 poblano peppers
- 3 cups rotisserie chicken, roughly chopped
- 1 ½ tsp. ground cumin
- 1 ½ tsp. chili powder
- 1 ½ tsp. garlic granules or powder
- 2 cups Heinen’s Mexican cheese blend + extra for garnish
- Salt and pepper to taste
For the Sauce
- 1 Tbsp. of olive oil
- 1 yellow onion, small peeled and small diced
- 1 garlic clove, finely minced
- 1 serrano pepper, seeded and roughly diced
- 1 ½ tsp. dry oregano
- 1 ½ tsp. ground cumin
- 28 oz. can whole peeled tomatoes
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Preheat the oven to broil-high.
- Spread the poblano peppers onto a sheet tray and broil on high for 3-4 minutes per side or until blistered on all sides.
- Remove the peppers and add them to a plastic bag. Let them sit for 10 minutes.
- Remove the outside roasted skin of the peppers and place the peppers on a plate or sheet tray. It’s okay if you cannot remove all of the roasted skin.
- Slice the top part of the pepper from top to bottom and remove as many seeds as possible. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, mix together the chicken, cumin, chili powder, garlic, cheese, salt and pepper until completely combined.
- Add the chicken and cheese mixture evenly between each roasted pepper until they are filled. Set aside.
- In a medium pot over medium heat, add in the oil and cook the onions, garlic and pepper for 3-4 minutes or until lightly browned.
- Stir in the oregano and cumin, add the tomatoes and cook for an additional 4-5 minutes to infuse the flavors.
- Season with salt and pepper and blend until completely smooth.
- Transfer the tomato sauce to a large 12-inch skillet and place in the stuffed poblano peppers.
- Garnish with a little extra cheese blend and bake at 425°F for 20-25 minutes.
- Serve and enjoy!
Making this for the second time! Easy and delicious recipe!
Hi Janet, we are happy you liked it so much that you came back for seconds! Keep on cooking!