The following recipe and photography were provided by local blogger Carolyn Hodges of The Dinner Shift.
You read that right! This unexpected grilled cheese and pb&j mashup is undeniably delicious. If you love a good sweet and salty flavor combo, this one delivers. It’s richer than your everyday grilled cheese and well worth a try when you’re craving something a bit more indulgent.
This recipe features Heinen’s new brioche bread, which is sliced for convenience and perfect for grilled cheese or French toast. Stonewall Kitchen’s strawberry jam adds just the right amount of sweetness to balance the savory and salty peanut butter and bacon.
You can use your preferred method for cooking the bacon, but I’ve included instructions for baking it in the oven, which I find to be easiest for cleanup, and always results in perfectly crisp bacon.
- Cook time:
- Prep time:
- Total time:
- 8 slices Heinen’s CARE Certified uncured bacon
- 8 slices Heinen’s brioche bread
- Heinen’s creamy peanut butter
- Stonewall Kitchen strawberry jam
- 4 oz. Heinen’s extra sharp cheddar cheese, thinly sliced
- Unsalted butter
- Preheat the oven to 425°F. Line a sheet pan with foil. Arrange the bacon in a single layer on the baking sheet. Bake for 15 minutes, or until crispy. Transfer to a paper towel-lined plate.
- To assemble the sandwiches, top one slice of bread with peanut butter and jam, followed by 2 slices of cooked bacon (broken in half) and an ounce of cheese. Top with another slice of bread.
- Heat a griddle over medium-low heat. Grease with butter. Cook the sandwiches until they’re golden brown on both sides and the cheese melts. Use a serrated knife to cut in half and serve.