The following recipe, video and photography were provided by our partner, Chef Billy Parisi.
This Spring Wheat Berry Salad is equal parts colorful, flavorful and nutritious!
Known as the edible part of a wheat kernel, wheat berries are a high-fiber whole grain with nutty flavor. Similar to rice or quinoa, they’re a perfect hearty feature for this seasonal grain-based salad!
Surrounded by other healthy spring ingredients like asparagus, baby carrots, strawberries, celery rib, microgreens, bell peppers and goat cheese, the taste and texture of this wonderful wheat berry bowl is a work of art!
- Cook time:
- Prep time:
- Total time:
- 1 ½ cups wheat berries
- 4 ¾ cups water
- ½ bunch of thinly shaved asparagus
- 5 assorted color baby carrots, thinly shaved
- 1 cup strawberries, sliced
- 1 celery rib, thinly sliced
- 2 roasted red bell peppers, julienned
- 1 cup microgreens
- 1/3 cup goat cheese crumbles
- 2 to 3 Tbsp. white balsamic vinegar
- 1/3 cup of Heinen’s lemon infused oil
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Bring a pot water to a boil. Add the wheat berries, cover with a lid and simmer over low heat for 60 minutes. Drain and cool.
- To plate, add the cooled wheat berries to a large platter and generously top with the asparagus, carrots, strawberries, celery, peppers, microgreens, goat cheese, vinegar, oil and salt and pepper.